White Rabbit
Wanted Thread
Fashion Designer (Harlequin Designs)
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
396 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-17-2017, 11:56 PM

That last glass of wine was probably one-too-many, if the fact that the floor was moving was anything to judge by. He… probably should have been more concerned about that than he was, but usually Cama was pilot whenever he was drunk and she was better at handling things than he was. You know. After she let him make a fool of himself for a while. So… nnn. He was sure she’d get him home, but for the moment…

Avery brushed one hand through long platinum blonde hair and drunkenly swayed his way down the street from the bar he’d just spent the better part of the evening in. Truth be told, it was more of an upper-crust place since it was right next to a museum and his bill had stunned him even through the slightly inebriated stupor, but it wasn’t like he couldn’t pay it. Perks of his job: he made an enormous amount of money, so he could afford to be a complete lush.

At least it seemed to be a pretty night?

Yawning, Avery stretched his arms at his sides and started to head back toward home. Home wasn’t on this floor, so it was a bit of a distance to travel… probably be sober by the time he got there. How depressing. But mmm.

Or at least, that was the plan – until someone grabbed him by the arm and yanked him into an alleyway. He had a knife pointed at his throat in the next moment and to his confusion, the man said, “Give me your wallet and all your jewelry. One wrong move and your head won’t be attached anymore. Don’t test me.” In the back of his mind, Camazotz’s response was one of annoyance and the desire to casually punch him through the wall. But the knife’s position was precarious – if he moved too much, it’d give him away. Well, crap.

“Okay, okay. Hold on. My wallet’s in my left pocket.” He held his hands up, pressing the backs of them to the wall of the building he was leaned into. No need to be violent. Don’t hurt meee.

Find Ananke

Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
181 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-18-2017, 02:50 PM

Ananke had been addressing another call before this, one of the important ones that involve wearing a uniform and giving long, tedious speeches about safety and duty to the public and her subordinates. An annoying affair, but now part of the job. Ever since getting promoted, it's been like this day in and day out, morning till night. What a bother. What a nuisance. But still part of the job, and someone has to do it.

It's because of this affair that the Legionnaire had been in the area, walking back home on legs that feel too long and wearing a uniform covered in ridiculous decorations, when she had stumbled onto the scene. Not by sight, but by sound. The thing about having the sound dominion means your hearing tends to be better than average, and it's the quiet murmur of a man coercing another that catches Ananke's attention. Eyes narrowing, she adopts a predatory approach, the sound of her steps now completely muted as she rounds the corner.

"Sir." It's exactly what she thinks it is, and rather than give away any sign of urgency, the Captain merely sounds exasperated. "I'm going to need you to drop your weapon and put your hands above your head." Choosing to rob a man in public, right in front of the floor's very own Legion captain. What bad luck this man has.

It's even worse considering the mood she's in. Shooting him right away would be excessive, but if he takes the man (at least that looks like a man) he's robbing as a hostage, it can be deemed a necessity.

Find Avery Montgomery

Played by Renoir
Development Thread
Human with Civil Demon
Thread Tracker
White Rabbit
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
396 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-18-2017, 07:41 PM

Movement behind him. Avery heard it with silent clarity, but his focus was purely on the man in front of him – who reached out as though to take the wallet only to freeze at the sound of a voice.

Insert ‘Oh shit’ caption above his head.

Rather than immediately cooperate with the officer, as his captive had, the aggressor grabbed Avery and threw him in front of him to use as a physical shield. It put the smaller man in front of him, protecting from trunk body shots, and the would-be thief held the knife at his throat before backing up.

“Your timing could not possibly be worse, officer,” the mugger said, sounding disgruntled.

Avery did not say anything, but his eyes had gone blank – almost glassy with his complete passivity. The young designer was not usually a fighter and there was not a whole lot he could do against this man – at least, not without risking himself getting hurt worse, or doing something very, very illegal in the process. What a peculiar turn of thoughts. He kept this to himself, cooperating to avoid causing unintentional damage (wasn’t that what people were taught? Don’t be a hero?) and he canted his head to the side just slightly.

The pair of them moved back a step and the mugger’s heel hit a can on the ground. It clinked musically, the metal sound resounding through the alley, and the slightly-intoxicated designer used that moment to drop down from his grasp to give the officer a clear shot.

Find Ananke

Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
181 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-19-2017, 01:02 PM

Another sigh. Usually once hostages are taken, the situation can only de-escalate when the criminal cooperates. But it looks like this man isn’t in the mood to do that, and that usually means Ananke needs to get her hands dirty. Still, she attempts to talk him down, as is the usual protocol. “If you let him go right now and surrender, you can be let off easy with an attempted robbery charge,” she explains, stepping forward just the smallest amount, the movement hidden by her dominion and the gesture she makes towards Avery. What bad luck for the both of them, to be caught up in a moment like this. The robber’s not a complete imbecile; his positioning of Avery is good enough that Ananke would not be able to get a clean shot. But her aim is very good, and she only needs a little bit of leeway. “If you hurt him, then that’s assault. If you come after me, that’s resisting arrest. You are not escaping now.” Another step forward, another step back from the other two.

A breath of silence.

Avery suddenly ducks downwards and Ananke, despite not understanding the thought process of a hostage willing to risk their life like that, seizes the opportunity. It takes approximately half a second to whip out her taser, and another half to aim and shoot.

She goes for the neck. Which, when it comes to tasers, doesn’t make much of a difference with how paralyzed a victim will be, but the arm might had been a better target. The shock might make him drop the knife anyways. “Step away from the perpetrator,” the officer warns Avery, striding towards the man who should by now be twitching on the ground. Bar any particularly unusual dominions, this should be over and done with soon.

Find Avery Montgomery

Played by Renoir
Development Thread
Human with Civil Demon
Thread Tracker
White Rabbit
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
396 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-20-2017, 03:45 AM

Taser. Avery rolled away from the mugger and scrambled backwards. The man reeled, responsively twitching, and he collapsed back against the wall – but something told the designer that his struggle was not completely done with.

Proof of that came in the next moment when the mugger, partially paralyzed, turned and lashed out at the officer. He could only see part of what was happening, obscured as it was for him to be on the ground, but he caught sight of electricity – which probably meant that one of the mugger’s dominions had something to do with that.

He rolled out of the way, well out of the line of sight, to give the woman more room to react. Last thing she needed was a hostage again or to have to watch out for him, especially if she had a fight on her hands and it looked like she definitely did. Resisting a taser wasn’t the easier thing in the world to do, Avery knew that from experience.

“There’s something metal on the ground next to him,” he breathed, quiet; if she had any kind of keen hearing, she’d be able to pick up on the warning – but he had no idea one way or another.

He managed to make it to his feet and then ducked around the corner, but he didn’t actually flee. She’d probably want some kind of statement. He just… didn’t want to be someone she had to protect in addition to herself.

notes: i don't know how npcs are handled but i figure you can do whatever you want with him as is ic for ananke <3

Find Ananke

Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
181 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-21-2017, 09:01 PM

In the corner of her eye, and the back of her mind, is vaguely aware of Avery's movements. It's something of note; not many would-be victims are this self-aware, or calm under pressure. A commendable quality- but also something to suspect one for. Those comfortable in the face of danger tend to be dangers themselves.

Even so, now is not the time to ponder such things; the captain's attention is monopolized by the felon in front of her, now swinging his arms wildly as his body crackles with static and light. He has the electricity dominion- or the absorption or mimicry one, it doesn't matter which. The end result, and therefore Ananke's requirements, are always the same. Protocol dictates that a gun should not be used unless the perpetrator cannot be subdued without lethal force, but while this has not stopped Ananke before from 'relaxing' the rules, if this is all the tricks this man has up his sleeve, even a firearm won't be necessary.

He does not seem to know much more than how to thrash and scream incessantly. While the demon's gloves are sadly not an insulator against electricity, the soles of her boots are.

-WHAM-

The man half staggers, half sprints forward, arms outstretched as if trying to catch Ananke in a twisted game of tag, but she is ready and she is faster, and so she dodges with ease. After slipping to the side and letting him charge right past her, Ananke turns, and kicks the man, right in the head.

This is not on purpose. In her smaller form, a roundhouse kick of maximum height usually hits people in the chest. But with a crackle that sounds suspiciously like bone and a heavy thud, the man falls and does not move. The lightning fizzes out like a child's sparkler. It seems he's out cold.

"I'll need you to come down to the station and make a statement, mister...?" The threat has been eliminated and so Ananke allows herself to address the victim while she strides forward, handcuffs emerging from the depths of her coat. It's important to make sure this man is cuffed quickly. But multitasking at the same time wouldn't hurt.

Find Avery Montgomery

Played by Renoir
Development Thread
Human with Civil Demon
Thread Tracker
White Rabbit
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
396 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-22-2017, 02:09 AM

He could hear the scuffle from where he was sitting by the front of the building. Crackling electricity and movements, but he was out of sight and so he could not see what was happening. His vision was blurring, though, and he was lamenting that last drink he’d had – surely that alone was to blame for the fact that he was very much out of sorts.

And – then the scuffle was over. He looked up and then half-crawled forward to look around the corner. The woman was speaking to him and he looked up at her, a little dazed, and said, “Montgomery. Avery Montgomery. And – that’s fine, but um.” He put one hand on the wall and used it as a brace to help himself stand. Involved wobbling a little bit, it did, which was a challenge in and of itself. He managed to stand, though, and not go kersplat right back on his face, so bonus points to him he supposed.

“You probably need to know that I’ve been drinking.” I don’t know how that works or if that makes my testimony, as it were, less valid, but you should know anyway.

Especially since there is an approximately 75% chance of me throwing up everything I’ve eaten all over your face from anxiety. This he didn’t say because the less he said, the less chance of accidentally projectile vomiting like something out of the Exorcist.

“Can I have my wallet back?” Oh look. I managed to say that and didn’t get sick so there might be a snow ball’s chance in hell that I’m going to make it okay. He was not normally a pukey drunk, though. Actually, he was a functioning alcoholic most of the time, but most of the time he also didn’t get mugged. He was cycling between a bizarre in-shock level of calm and the desire to vomit, cry and ask to talk to his parents… whom he hadn’t spoken to in literally five years.

That wasn’t awkward at all.

Find Ananke

Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
181 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-24-2017, 10:55 AM

"We'll account for that." Even if he hadn't mentioned it, Ananke can tell that Avery is less then entirely coherent. The distinct face many drunk people tend to have before they vomit is one of the giveaways. Protocol dictates that all witnesses are still required to have their statements taken, however; even moderate alcohol consumption doesn't affect human memory to the extent that the public tends to think.

After cuffing the now unresponsive criminal and hoisting him to his feet, Ananke pulls out what looks like Avery's wallet (bulging with bills and cards that a would-be mugger wouldn't have, or else he wouldn't have the need to rob anyone) out of his back pocket, checking the IDs before handing it to the witness. At this point, the incident has become quite a nuisance, but so long as Ananke follows procedure, she'll have dealt with it quickly enough and can get back to... whatever she does when she's not on the job. "My car is the next block over," she tells him. An implicit order to come with her is in there somewhere.

Find Avery Montgomery

Played by Renoir
Development Thread
Human with Civil Demon
Thread Tracker
White Rabbit
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
396 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 06-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Little nod. Just being completely upfront because I don’t want to be accused of lying or not complying later. Law enforcement sort of (okay, really) terrified him and the last thing he wanted was to get a reputation for being difficult.

He took his belongings back, tucking the cards and money meticulously into the wallet, then motioned for her to lead the way to her car. Probably have to call some kind of ride to get home after this – maybe Revanche wouldn’t mind – but he didn’t think walking home was the best idea now. Usually it would be assumed it wasn’t, given – haha – the nature of the city, but… this was actually the first incident Avery had ever had to deal with.

And had the officer not appeared, he was not entirely sure what he would have done. He wasn’t violent by nature. But Camazotz was, and Camazotz had very little tolerance for people forcing her to do anything she didn’t want to do. The bat-demon didn’t really handle threats well, either, and she had no problem taking the reins when angry.

Weird how that worked.

“When we get to the station or whatever… can I call a ride?”

Subscribe Thread Closed