Spirit Detectives
Wanted Thread
Computer Forensics Analyst/Hacker
Art Shop Thread
8 Threads
55 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM

Sometimes, Max found that being a detective by himself was a lot more trouble than he really wanted it to be.

While his partner was annoying as hell to him, he had to admit she at least helped often, due to having dominions that actually did something compared to his own. He could only really do some minor things, with his telekinesis being the most powerful and yet somehow not that useful. Instead, he often relied on his prowess in technology, not bolstered by powers but by the knowledge he already had.

But when you chase a perp who can go invisible at a moment's notice, it tended to throw some things out the window.

The chase had gotten to the edge of the park before Max lost him, finding that the greenery made it hard for him to track anything, and he certainly wasn't any bloodhound. So he had to resort to more desperate measures. Calling in for backup. Ugh.

The call back to the headquarters was painful and extended, an impatient Max tapping his foot with an angered fervor as he waited for whoever it was to show up. He asked for someone who was good at tracking, though he wasn't specific since he didn't know enough about many of the others to make an educated guess about who was the best candidate. In the end, if the job got done it got done, no matter how annoying the process was.

Hopefully, they were at least less annoying than Roth.

Find Sean Mason

Played by iota
Development Thread
Human with Primal Demon
Thread Tracker
Spirit Detectives
Wanted Thread
Private Investigator / English Professor
Art Shop Thread
3 Threads
33 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 07-20-2017, 09:14 PM

After a surprisingly short time from the end of the call to the Watchtower, there arrives a man in his early forties wearing a large dark coat with a humble vest beneath. He looks tired but full of purpose, leaning into his walk with his hands stuffed into his coat pockets. He's accompanied by what looks like an energetic golden firefly zipping around by his left shoulder. The tiny thing illuminates a small area around itself as it flies, and its movement is too blurry and fast to make out any details of its form. Mason's large footsteps hit echoing concrete until they crunch instead in the dark green grass of the City park, and at this threshold he sees an impatient younger man covered in far too many tattoos.

"Max? Professor Sean Mason. Call me Sean," he offers with a Northern English accent. "They said it was my turn to help." As he leans forward for a solid handshake, the professor's shadowed face looks almost angry, but his tone is neutral and polite. He really is just sleep-deprived.

Mason stuffs his hands in his pockets again and stares at the park ahead. The dark scene is complete with shrubs and trees and all manner of convenient hiding places presented for them to scour. "I should warn you," he begins as he surveys the area with a serious face, "I'm new at this vigilante thing, but I can pathfind my way around just fine. Who am I looking for, and are you a speedster?"

The professor's stay in the City has been a frustrating one so far, but working with the Spirit Detectives might be his best chance for success.

Find Max Attero

Played by Titmouse
Development Thread
Human with Primal Demon
Thread Tracker
Spirit Detectives
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
8 Threads
55 Posts
No Content Restrictions

This post was last modified: 07-21-2017, 11:21 PM by Max Attero Posted | 07-21-2017, 11:20 PM

The timely manner was appreciated, but whether or not Max's social skills wouldn't backfire on him with this person remained to be seen. There wasn't much about the man that screamed Spirit Detective, something that Max was pretty familiar with himself. Though, the curious yellow light that seemed to orbit the man's shoulder was a cause for note in his head, squinting at it before turning his attention back to the other detective. He'd already lit a cigarette between two fingers with a minute flame, letting it stick out of his mouth and bounce as he spoke. 'Kay, Sean, he enunciated, puffing a few clouds before dispelling the flame.

Standing up from the bike he was leaning on — a Ducati Monster that was a dark black everywhere except for the rims of the wheels and the bright red bars that webbed across the sides — Max reached out to shake Sean's hand in a gruff manner, the matching leather jacket he wore clinging tightly to his chest as it remained zipped up. Yeah, sure, he confirmed, an awkward pause following with a nod of his head. Neither of them really looked like they wanted to be there, though the other man seemed more ready to take a nap before chasing down a suspect.

Admitting that you weren't that good at a job you were supposed to have right off the bat probably wasn't something Max would recommend, but he was probably just as bad or worse at the same job, so he couldn't really talk. Awesome, he snorted, shadowing Sean as he stepped out onto the grass. The first half of the question was overshadowed by the second, Max shooting a confused, almost offended look towards the man. Am I — what? Look, man I just like driving shit that goes fast, okay? Fuckin' sue me. Speedster wasn't in his dictionary, though he wasn't one regardless and still wouldn't have been able to help. If I could've caught him myself I would've already had him face down in the dirt by now, aight? It was hard to cover up the bitterness in his voice, often leaving it in his wake for people to taste in their mouths afterward. You're looking for this squirrelly fucker; dark clothes, sunken eyes, smells like chemicals and fish. Bolted for the gardens. His hand swung up in the general direction, half pointing and half trying to encourage the man to move along.

Find Sean Mason

Played by iota
Development Thread
Human with Primal Demon
Thread Tracker
Spirit Detectives
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
3 Threads
33 Posts
No Content Restrictions

This post was last modified: 07-22-2017, 09:31 PM by Sean Mason Posted | 07-22-2017, 09:21 PM

Mason puts his hands up defensively, but his posture remains somewhat stoic. The gesture looks funny on him, as if he picked up the 'We got a badass over here' meme from a younger crowd. "All right, you're not a speedster. That's fine. In that case, I believe we should aim not to scare the man."

After hearing a good description of the squirrelly fucker, Mason shuts his eyes for just a moment so he can find the right path to his location. In his self-induced blindness, the professor furrows his brow in order to see nothing but the blackness behind his eyelids. He focuses on the invisible world of his mind's eye, and in it, he perceives a small array of glowing dim lights at various distances from him. They all resemble his demon in appearance, in a way.

Each light represents a person that may fit the vague given description: an individual wearing dark clothing and smelling like fishy chemicals. Most of these glowing points of interest are simply bystanders within the park, and many of them are moving slowly as the people walk around. Notably, he sees that the one closest to them in the garden up ahead is keeping totally still. Its light is fainter than the others, most likely inhibited by the invisibility of its user. "There," he utters, opening his eyes from his thousand-yard blind gaze.

He finds that the location roughly matches that of a gazebo sitting in the middle of a crossroads of garden footpaths. He quickly looks away (but not too quickly) and stares off wistfully into the night sky instead. It's an act.

Pathfinding is very useful in finding his reading glasses when he needs them.

"Do you see the gazebo up there, between the hedges? He's standing right in the middle of it, in plain sight." He speaks conversationally, but with directness and importance. The idea is to look like the two of them have completely lost the man. "Don't look at it directly, and remember not to scare him. He's too far to hear us unless, God forbid, he knows how to manipulate sound, too. We need to ambush or trap him somehow. He probably won't move until we leave or we become a threat to him. What do you have? I am a speedster." He waits for acknowledgement, and then if clarification is needed, "That means I can move fast."

He scratches his head ponderously. "Also, what did this guy do? Is he armed?"

Find Sekah

Played by Sekah
Development Thread
OOC Roleplayer
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Head Admin
Art Shop Thread
65 Threads
969 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Ascension Gift for Max Attero

Something is unlocked within yourself. You've walked down the Chariot path. You may choose not to walk this path, and forfeit the growth you've achieved. If you wish to follow it, you may choose only one of these roads to advance upon. Which will it be?

Ascension Choices

The Chariot Tier 1. Ascension to "THE HOPLITE"
The hoplite exemplifies the ruthless side of warfare. When the hoplite starts a fight, they tend to attempt to finish it in the same blow. The hoplite is never as at home as they are in the middle of a conflict. Never underestimate how much they love to win.
You feel new possibilities within you. You can now manifest one weapon at will, whether or not you’re in ascension form. You are limited to the same type of weapon every time you summon it. If the first time you summon your weapon, it’s a halberd, it will always be a halberd. The dominions fire, blood, combustion, and poison are now augmented. Your character may show unusual command of those dominions for their mastery.

The Chariot Tier 1. Ascension to "THE SAMURAI"
The samurai exemplifies the artful side of warfare. They are honor and duty-bound. The samurai prioritizes skill, be it skill in wordplay or skill in death-dealing. The samurai believes in revenge when slighted.
You feel new possibilities within you. You can now manifest one weapon at will, whether or not you’re in ascension form. You are limited to the same type of weapon every time you summon it. If the first time you summon your weapon, it’s a halberd, it will always be a halberd. The dominions fire, blood, combustion, and poison are now augmented. Your character may show unusual command of those dominions for their mastery.

The Chariot Tier 1. Ascension to "THE KNIGHT”
The knight represents the romanticized side of warfare. They particularly are at home in the glorification of violence. The demonization of an enemy is a common part of this path, the desire to stick to one’s own and to be intolerant of others. Quarrelsome, the knight goes out looking for trouble.

Ascension Gift for Sean Mason

Something is unlocked within yourself. You've walked down the Magician path. Your previous ascension along the Magician path is fading from you. You may choose not to walk this path, and retain your safe and comfortable ascension, but doing so will forfeit the growth you've achieved. If you wish to follow it, you may choose only one of these roads to advance upon. Which will it be?

Ascension Choices

The Magician Tier 2. Ascension to "THE JOURNEYMAN"
The journeyman has excelled to reach the heights they have met. Through hard work, self-confidence and perseverance, and no small amount of skill, the journeyman has put their resourcefulness to work for them. They planned for the future and attacked every day with a schema of what they wanted to get done. None of the Journeyman’s achievements are mere chance.
You feel new possibilities within you. You are now unusually successful when invested in a project. You can now cause minor illness in yourself and others. The dominions technopathy, magnetism, alchemy, psychic, and biomancy are now augmented. Your character may show unusual command of those dominions for their mastery.

The Magician Tier 2. Ascension to "THE WAND"
The wand shows middling command of organization and diplomacy. A self-confident soul, one wave of their hand and they’ve made order out of chaos. Magic happens when a wand puts in effort, nothing less. People on this path are prepared for the life they choose and attack it with a plan.
You feel new possibilities within you. You can now more clearly see the way to organizing a space. You can now cause minor illness in yourself and others. The dominions technopathy, magnetism, alchemy, psychic, and biomancy are now augmented. Your character may show unusual command of those dominions for their mastery.

Find Max Attero

Played by Titmouse
Development Thread
Human with Primal Demon
Thread Tracker
Spirit Detectives
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
8 Threads
55 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-19-2017, 01:55 PM

Max couldn't help but roll his eyes at the older man, waiting impatiently with the cigarette in his mouth as he let Sean do... whatever the hell he was doing. If he hadn't known better, he would have guessed that the professor was taking a nap right in front of him. Don't fuckin' fall asleep, he grumbled under his breath, taking another long drag with his hands shoved into his pockets.

It took a moment but Sean came back up with a location, Max almost immediately swiveling to look before he caught himself as the other man warned him not to. Force of habit he told himself, trying to casually swing his body back around so it wasn't so obvious where he was going to look. Eh, he started disdainfully as he sneered at the clarification, not thrilled by the idea of naming off the things he could do. The things he couldn't do was a more impressive list. I can light candles and turn screws. Maybe make you see some weird shit. Vaguely. He thought for another moment. Oh, and I can do some Professor X shit, too. His hand raised to wiggle his fingers like he casted a faux spell, if only to accentuate his words. But other than that, I'd rather rely on what I know. I can see probably get the electrical turned off so he can't see us coming, if you could keep using your naps to find him.

What did he do? He killed six fucking people for starters! he scoffed, crossing his arms in front of his chest, staring for a moment before his gaze diverted. Okay, no that's a lie. He broke into some house to kidnap a kid, though! Another pause. His voice couldn't have possibly sounded genuine. Why was he a bad liar all of a sudden? Fine, he huffed. I caught him fuckin' with my bike when I went to buy a pack of cigs, alright? And I'm fuckin' salty about it.

Find Sean Mason

Played by iota
Development Thread
Human with Primal Demon
Thread Tracker
Spirit Detectives
Wanted Thread
Art Shop Thread
3 Threads
33 Posts
No Content Restrictions

This post was last modified: 08-19-2017, 10:57 PM by Sean Mason Posted | 08-19-2017, 10:56 PM

Mason calmly puts a hand in front of his face and shuts his eyes once more. It appears as though he may be using his Pathfinding skill once again, but instead he quietly displays some exasperation. "Oh, my god," he groans, "A bicycle thief. I thought it was more serious than that." The professor rubs the bridge of his nose for some time while his demon Rata flies in a lazy figure-8 circuit right beside him. He's clearly a bit annoyed, especially since this Max seems so thankless. Mason's also getting fed up with reckless attitudes of the younger Spirit Detectives, even though Max is clearly not university-age or similar. "It's no wonder why they said it was my turn, then. They must not trust me with the likes of anyone else, yet."

Crickets begin to chirp as the night grows more calm. Professor Mason keeps quiet and turns to face away from the garden, gazing wistfully at the sights and sounds of the City that exist peacefully in the other direction. Is anyone going to die tonight while the two of them chase a thief? In the back of his mind, he can still sense their elusive target's position. Behind him, the would-be-criminal in the gazebo remains eerily still, surely reassured by the stealth of his invisibility. "He's still not moving. I'm going to try to catch him while you turn out the lights." He gestures to his bug, "Come here." For a moment, he pleads with his demon, who would rather stay manifest the vast majority of the time, to fly into Mason's open palm so he can hide its glowing form.

"Kay, Max, this is going to be quick: the moment you cut the power in the garden, I'm going to approach this man behind me as quietly as I can. If he starts to move, I'll make a run for him and try to bring him down. No, not to kill him, for Christ's sake. If he manages to escape again, you should give him a warning and a viable threat to stay. Even if you don't feel threatening, you can make him think you are."

With that in mind, Mason readies himself to use his speed to his advantage, clutching Rata loosely all the while. The appearance of the middle-aged man in bulky clothing seems at odds with the dominions derived from his demon's impulsive, zippy nature; he's not even wearing running shoes. Rata offers a freakish and undeniably useful sprinting speed, though.

If things go well, the professor will either reach the thief for a calm, civilized arrest, or else knock him to the ground with a super-speed takedown...

"By the way, the safe-word is, 'Clap-on.' Like, for the lights."

"Clap-off."

Subscribe Thread Closed