Demon Realm

Gift of Fortune

Quest 

Subscribe

Find Fortune

Quote Post
Played by AdAshtra
Development Thread
Plot & NPC
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Fortune
Art Shop Thread
1 Threads
4 Posts
Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-08-2017, 07:49 PM

On a busy street in Grootslang sits a man in a grey pinstripe suit with an edition of the Elysian Herald open in his lap. His face is obscured by the paper – leaving just a grey-blue fedora popping up above the pages.

He is content, as he sits on the bench – almost board – as he waits for his ride, which happens to be the 3:55 express bus from Grootslang to Ghost Town. It is an everyday occurrence.

On time (for once) the bus arrives and the man folds his paper neatly, fishes for his two-twenty-five out of his trouser pockets and boards the bus. But unlike every other day, the man has forgotten something.

Sitting next to the bench legs, with bus and man long gone, is a black leather briefcase. It is all alone in the world – with none to care for it.

Find Ananke

Quote Post
Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
183 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-08-2017, 07:55 PM

Ananke stumbles upon the bag quite by accident.

While off-patrol, as it stands, and so the large black thing looks quite big compared to her child's body, a hulking thing that would appear hard for her to carry- but for a demon those concerns are hardly concerns, and for a Legionnaire, it's her duty to return the thing to its rightful owner anyways.

And so the demon picks the thing right up and gets onto the next possible bus. It certainly might not be the same route that its owner had taken, but it's a start, seeing as they're clearly long gone. And perhaps she'll be able to take it to the station for examination if that option doesn't pan out.

Find Aminaksha

Quote Post
Played by PocketPanda
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Intelligence Specialist for Reign Securities
Art Shop Thread
4 Threads
44 Posts
No Content Restrictions

This post was last modified: 08-08-2017, 08:34 PM by Aminaksha Posted | 08-08-2017, 08:07 PM

Not having observed the man for long enough to assume his appearance and thereby claim ownership of the bag from the youth who had taken it, Mina opts for the next best option and - just as the doors are closing - slips onto the bus.

Paying her dues, she makes her way past the one with the bag, not even so much as glancing her way. The bus sways as it lumbers ahead and the thought of accidentally pressing into one of the humans present in a loss of balance is abhorrent to her; far worse than risking a seat, unclean as it may be. Removing her handkerchief from her clutch, the Victorian-clad demon brushes it over the old, worn fabric and sits upon her chosen seat on the aisle (where the window seat was empty beside her). So settled, she finally allows her gaze to rest on the one who had absconded with the bag.

She hadn't intended to take it for herself. She was, after all, in the business of security. Atticus might have been pleased if she had brought in a new client. That the child had boarded the same bus lent itself to reason that she intended to return the bag to it's rightful owner as well, but that could simply be coincidence.

Either way, she had nowhere else to be and thus she resolved to follow the satchel and the one who carried it, to ensure that all was well.

Find Fortune

Quote Post
Played by AdAshtra
Development Thread
Plot & NPC
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Fortune
Art Shop Thread
1 Threads
4 Posts
Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-09-2017, 06:26 AM

Nearly an hour's ride later, (and a half-hour besides that, waiting for the second express bus) with no event out of the ordinary, the bus arrives at the central Ghosttown hub (after of course making three stops before, any and all of which might have been the man's end point.)

All patrons left rise and file out the door. End of line.

So what is next...?

Find Ananke

Quote Post
Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
183 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-09-2017, 10:51 AM

...well, she doesn't remember this bus going to Ghosttown. Nor had Ananke intended to ride it for so long. But despite sitting at the front and asking around a bit, no one had recognized the leather briefcase, so it looks like the owner might be anywhere between the two floors.

Looking at the grey expanse that is the residential floor, the child-demon sighs. She doesn't have the time for this. And probably should not had spent the last hour riding the same bus. Live and learn, she supposes.

It'd be insanity to try the same thing multiple times in hopes of achieving a different result, so upon getting off, Ananke does not get onto another bus. Not just yet. Instead, she takes out her phone and sends a quick text to the Legion departments of Grootslang and Ghosttown: "Black leather suitcase found, contact me if someone comes to claim it." And in the meantime, she can examine the contents and see if any identification is found.

Upon finding the nearest bench, Ananke simply plops the thing where most people would be sitting, and examines the closure. Without any locks, she would be able to open it and examine the contents.

Find Aminaksha

Quote Post
Played by PocketPanda
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Intelligence Specialist for Reign Securities
Art Shop Thread
4 Threads
44 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-09-2017, 12:06 PM

All the way to Ghosttown. With each stop, faint disappointment rippled across the still waters of her calm demeanor, as it became increasingly clear that they would not be able to locate the man without far more effort than desired. Irritation nettled at her. One ought to take more care of one's belongings instead of imposing upon the kindness of strangers; even if in this case, such kindness resulted on account of it offering a cessation of boredom. Not that the man knew that.

Her quarry seemed to have realized the same. Disembarking at the same stop, Mina finally approached the child with a rustle of silks, offering a warm smile, if not a hand to shake. Even the scarlet of her archaic gown seemed muted here, into a dull red tone that was considerable less pretty than she preferred.

"Good evening." Child, she did not add. Were this petite, young-seeming thing a demon, she could even be older than Mina. Had she not assumed a child-like form herself to train with Atticus, after all? It was unwise to take anything for granted in the City. "I presume from your trip that you hold the intention of returning that satchel to its owner? I should very much appreciate being of service, if I may."

Find Fortune

Quote Post
Played by AdAshtra
Development Thread
Plot & NPC
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Fortune
Art Shop Thread
1 Threads
4 Posts
Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-09-2017, 05:01 PM

The briefcase, shiny and new(er) was heavy. The reason why was apparent when Ananke opened it clear as day on a park bench in Ghost Town:

It was filled top to bottom, packed like sardines with hundred A Fata Morgana dollar bills. No other identifying marks can be seen.

But the briefcase itself - and the money therein, is drawing quite a bit of attention from the locals...

Find Ananke

Quote Post
Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
183 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-09-2017, 06:21 PM

"Ahhh." Ananke sighs, but it's the sharp kind of sigh, an exasperated one. This has suddenly become much more complicated, the case itself, the owner, the matter of this woman suddenly offering her help. "State your credentials," she orders tersely, the suitcase being shut close with an audible snap. It's a heavier sound than anticipated, and the child-demon feels the need to mute it, lest some unwanted attention be had. "If you've some experience with this sort of work, I'll take you to the station with me."

Find Audry Paseo

Quote Post
Played by Junos
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Henche & Sweeney "Employee"
Art Shop Thread
9 Threads
80 Posts
Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Audry is doing her usual aimless wandering (looking for something interesting) when the familiar Legionnairre catches her eye. It takes a moment for her memory to jog, and a bit of uncomfortable staring, before it clicks. This is the child-demon that infiltrated Henche & Sweeney with the invisible man. Whatever their goal had been, Ms. Henche had not liked them one bit. Ananke sat on a park bench ahead, a briefcase in her lap with the lid open. A few people have stopped to gawk at the contents, and the demon's curiosity is piqued.

Venturing closer, slipping easily out of sight, the wendigo gets a good angle to see what's inside. Her hands itch at the neat rows of bills, stacked like bricks from end to end of the briefcase. Were she more aware of such things, she would have been shocked that the cop opened something like that in front of everyone. It was dangerous to flash that kind of money, as she was just about to demonstrate.

With a quickness one would not expect from such a slow-moving creature, the demon swipes at the case to yank it right out of the smaller demon's hands. However, she doesn't quite expect the person next to her to shuffle to the side and bump into her arm, resulting in a loud hiss from the beast as her grip falters and the case merely gets slapped aside in the demon's lap, but not taken.

Find Aminaksha

Quote Post
Played by PocketPanda
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Intelligence Specialist for Reign Securities
Art Shop Thread
4 Threads
44 Posts
No Content Restrictions

This post was last modified: 08-12-2017, 12:03 PM by Aminaksha Posted | 08-10-2017, 06:42 PM

One elegant eyebrow arched as the woman addressed her so tersely. Hm, perhaps considering the circumstances, it couldn't truly be attributed to rudeness; having a case full of cash on one's hands, seen by more than a few others in the present vicinity was likely to be stress-inducing. Mina supposed she could sympathize with the child, even if she hardly appreciated her tone.

"I am one of the Four," emphasis clearly heard on the last term. "of Reign Securities. I work directly under Atticus Valentine as an intelligence specialist and team leader. In short, my dear, this is precisely what I do."

It was just after she finished her sentence that her shoulder was jostled and a hand shot out to grab at the case. Yank! Thankfully, the person on the other end of that hand was not strong enough to wrest it away from the youth... unfortunately, the case went spilling to the floor. Kneeling immediately, Mina snatched the case up and held it back out to Ananke, who - despite her youthful age - seemed to be a person of some resources, having mentioned a 'precinct'.

"That was most unwise," she hissed up at the other woman, glowering at her briefly.

Find Ananke

Quote Post
Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
183 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-12-2017, 12:20 PM

She's heard of Reign Securities before, but being employed by someone else means Aminaksha can't necessarily be brought on as a 'consultant' in any official capacity. Not that protocol would allow just flippant use of that, anyways. But this seems to be a time sensitive situation and quick decision making is imparative. "Then take my hand an-"

The Legionnaire is about to mention teleporting to the nearest precinct, but then someone else decides to intrude. Someone she recognizes. Count on Henche and Sweeney to hire people who like to steal large cases of cash in their free time. If it were actually hers, Audry would had said so.

With another sharp sigh, the child demon mutters "there's no time for this," and slaps her hand on the case, attempting to teleport it, her, and the other woman, still holding onto it as well, to the Ghost town precinct. It's an easier feat than the Grootslang one, but even so, there's no guarantee that she'll succeed in bringing Aminaksha with her. If fact, it's a bit of a stretch. But at this point, Ananke has lost her patience, and either way at least her and the case should be able to make the trip.

Find Fortune

Quote Post
Played by AdAshtra
Development Thread
Plot & NPC
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Fortune
Art Shop Thread
1 Threads
4 Posts
Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-21-2017, 05:27 PM

Dice GodBOT - Today at 6:14 PM
@AdAstra formally known as Salt: 1d100 = (20) = 20

Proficiency Required: 60 or above. A spectacular fail.


AdAstra formally known as Salt - Today at 6:16 PM
how spectacularily does it fail?
1d100 rolled for a total of: 57 (57)
Dice GodBOT - Today at 6:16 PM
@AdAstra formally known as Salt: 1d100 = (51) = 51

Not terribly spectacular.

AdAstra formally known as Salt - Today at 6:24 PM
roll for injury
1d100 rolled for a total of: 56 (56)
Dice GodBOT - Today at 6:24 PM
@AdAstra formally known as Salt: 1d100 = (20) = 20

The Results


The teleportation of two people plus one loaded suitcase was difficult - especially for a demon of a proficiency of... well, proficient. But while it could have been downright bloody, it is as such, not so.

To Audry, the woman and the child are there in one moment - and the next they are not, with nary a trace to be seen.

For Mina and for Ananke, the results are... interesting.

Ananke is teleported to her destination - or rather the balcony on the second floor where officers are often seen taking their lunch breaks. And smoke breaks. And "If I stay in that cubicle any longer I'll kill the person next to me" breaks.

Around her - to the astonishment of the officers - rains twenty denomination bills, some whole, some shredded. The briefcase in her hand has been neatly severed, as if only half of it came with her.

Which is in fact, precisely what happened. For three blocks away to the south, poor Mina lands far harder - literally slammed into a brick wall of a small credit union as if she was traveling in a speeding car with someone - and then decided to jump out of the car window like a Bond villain. Hitting the wall next to her and falling harmlessly to the pavement was the other half of the briefcase and the same rain of bills around her.

Thankfully, for a demon of Mina's build and constitution, little more than a concussion would be all that she suffers.

Find Aminaksha

Quote Post
Played by PocketPanda
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Unaffiliated
Wanted Thread
Intelligence Specialist for Reign Securities
Art Shop Thread
4 Threads
44 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 08-29-2017, 03:29 PM

Pain exploded in Mina's face, suddenly, as stars burst around her. The Victorian-clad demon staggered backwards, stepping on the hem of her dress and dropping like a rock onto her lovely, silk-clad bottom, onto the pavement. Her nose was bleeding, her vision kept going in and out of focus and there was a peculiar ringing in her ears that she found rather vexing.

What in the world had just happened to her?

Gingerly, she touched her nose; oh good, not broken. Had the other demon punched her? Blinking and squinting she looked around... only to realize with even more bewilderment that she was... not where she had been before, but rather, approximately several blocks away.

"Leave that," she snapped severely, noting a hand reaching out to take one of the bills that lay upon the ground, which disappeared quite readily at her tone. Gathering up the money and... stuffing it back inside the halved briefcase as best she could, the demon limped back toward one of the bus stops.

Lacking any notion of where the others had gone, she intended to follow through with her original plan. Taking the briefcase home, she would return the next day to see if the older man returned and then present him with his belongings... or what was left of it... once more.

Either way, she would put up with no further today.

Find Ananke

Quote Post
Played by SweetDreamur
Development Thread
Solo Demon
Thread Tracker
Legion
Wanted Thread
Captain of Grootslang
Art Shop Thread
13 Threads
183 Posts
No Content Restrictions

Posted | 09-05-2017, 12:28 PM

She falls on her back. Not the most comfortable or safest of positions, but as for as the human bodies go, there are worse angles and worse amounts of force with which to fall. Still, the crashing of her head against pavement leaves stars imprinted on the back of her head, and Ananke spends the first couple seconds afterwards lying in a daze.

When the child-demon gets her bearings and pops upwards, her former coworkers are staring at her, agape.

Ah, what a mess she's made. If this gets to the Commissioner she'd probably get another scolding.

"...Help me pick these up, will you?" The Captain asks, still being stared at like some kind of mythical creature. It's not as if they don't recognize her, is it? She used to be stationed at Ghosttown after all. "I'll let your captain know that you deserve an extra break today."

Shaking her head like a dog shedding water out of its pelt, the child-demon picks herself off the ground and notices the the bisected suitcase in her hand. Another complication. Well, so long as the suitcase itself has no sentimental value, she can probably pay off the damages herself.

The main issue is where the other half is. "Is there anyone with the pathfinding dominion on duty right now? I'd like to borrow them," she asks the other officers.

Subscribe